(ETA: THE DEADLINE TO SIGN UP FOR THE 12 x 12 in 2012 challenge is now passed. If, after you read this post, you have more questions, please visit the Frequently Asked Questions post)
Twelve complete picture book drafts. Twelve months. 2012. Are you with me?
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to write one picture book per month for each of the twelve months of 2012. This means a first draft: beginning, middle, end. NOT a submission-ready piece. Sounds easy right? It sounds easy to me, too. But when I looked back on my writing output from 2011, I discovered that I only completed one draft from all 30 of the PiBoIdMo ideas I came up with in 2010. I did draft, edit and revise other pieces I had in the works, but I am not content with my overall 2011 results. So I decided to challenge myself to write many more in 2012, and I figured, why not invite others to join me so we can support and encourage each other along the way?
I have been floored by the community that came together for PiBoIdMo this year – cheers to Tara Lazar!! I only hope we can take your good work and keep the home fires burning at least until next November.
Just as with other challenges, like PiBoIdMo and NaPiBoWriWee (National Picture Book Writing Week), so long as you are willing to do your best, you are welcome to join us. In the end, it doesn’t matter if you have 12, 4 or even 1 PB drafted if you’ve gotten more accomplished by being in the group than by going it alone. There will be a winner badge, of course, for those who make it to 12 or more, but the idea is that we support, encourage, and help each other throughout the year as we try to put flesh on the bones of those PB ideas. My own personal goal is to draft 18 PBs between this challenge and NaPiBoWriWee, but I know it’s a tall task. I also know it will be easier with others with me.
As an added incentive to join the challenge, I will be running guest posts on the blog from experts in the field along with a special giveaway each month. My general plan is to run guest posts on the first of each month, and draw a winner of each month’s giveaway on the last day of the month. However, I want to leave myself wiggle room in case I need to change some of the parameters. Bear with me, as this is the first challenge of this type that I’ve run on my blog, so there’s a learning curve for sure.
I want to give a huge round of thanks to Linda Silvestri, the immensely talented illustrator who donated her talents to create our participant badge.
Now, what do you have to do to join, you ask? First, you must sign your name in blood and send it to me at… Just kidding! No, there are two mandatory steps and three optional, listed below:
DEADLINE TO SIGN UP FOR THE CHALLENGE = JANUARY 29, 2012
1. Follow this blog. (Mandatory) If you are a new follower, please specify how you follow in the comments (RSS, email, etc.)
2. Complete the following form indicating you are taking the 12 x 12 challenge (Mandatory) SIGN-UP FOR THE 12 x 12 in 2012 IS NOW CLOSED.
3. Please paste the 12 x 12 badge (courtesy of Linda Silvestri) on your blog (if you have one) with a link back to this post. (Optional) I would also love it if you would consider blogging about the challenge and again providing a link back to this post.
4. Join the 12 x 12 in 2012 Facebook Group (Optional) Please note you must be an official 12 x 12 in 2012 participant in order to be admitted into the Facebook group. (Optional)
5. Participate in Twitter discussions throughout the year using the hashtag #12x (Optional)
That’s all folks! I hope to see lots of you here! Can’t wait to get started!! If you have other questions or comments, please leave them in the comments below.