I’m using this post to make an appeal to anyone out there who might be willing to help a procrastinator prepare for one of the most terrifying experiences of her life – sharing her work with editors and agents at the SCBWI conference this weekend. I’ve finished a draft of my second children’s picture book manuscript, but I haven’t had time to get any
feedback. I need readers! If you are willing to take a look at my story and provide a few comments, I would be forever in your debt. You can just leave a comment here or send me an email. Then I’ll email the manuscript to you. It’s pretty short – about 700 words, and I’m not looking for detailed feedback, just gut reactions and a little advice.
To sweeten the deal, anybody who is willing, on such short notice, to provide feedback by 10:00 p.m. Mountain time (Midnight Eastern) will get a $5 gift certificate from me for Amazon.com.* I know it’s not much, but hopefully it will at least contribute toward a book/CD/DVD, etc. that you’re longing for. I will email an e-gift card to you on Thursday if you send me your comments. I figure it’s the least I can do by way of thanks.
Here is some of the feedback I’m looking for, although I certainly wouldn’t expect everyone to answer every question.
- What do you like/dislike about the story? Its strengths/weaknesses?
- Does the rhythm work? Are there “clunky” parts that are difficult to read aloud? Likewise, are there verses that are pleasurable to read?
- Would you like to read this story to your child?
- Do you like the story’s message and think it’s one that is relevant?
- Do you like the main character? Is she well drawn?
- Most importantly – if this was your story, would you show it to an editor or agent now, or do more revision first?
Thanks so much for even considering this everyone! Please don’t worry about providing constructive criticism. That’s truly what I need, so long as it is thoughtful and given in a sensitive manner. Besides, I need to thicken my skin by a few layers before Friday!
*If you are immediate family, the gift certificate offer does not apply to you. You are bound by blood to help me! Hahahaha. Although I will surely love you even more than I do right now, which is reward enough right???
Thanks!!Categories: Children's Books, SCBWI, Works in Progress, Writing · Tags: Children's Books, Publishing, SCBWI, Writing