I know, I know. Way late this time, coming as it is on Monday instead of Sunday. I’m hoping for more regular blogging hours starting this Thursday, by which time both of my kids will be back in school. *Here’s me doing the happy dance.* We’ve had a great summer, but I’m ready to get back to routine and especially to my writing time. I am so full of ideas these days, I just can’t wait to dig in.
Speaking of writing, what I am most grateful for last week was the virtual WriteOnCon conference that was held Tuesday-Thursday. Seven amazing women writers – Elana Johnson, Jamie Harrington, Jen Stayrook, Casey McCormick, Lisa and Laura Roecker and Shannon Messenger put together three solid days of blog posts, vlogs, live chats, workshops, query critiques and more. All for kidlit writers and all for FREE. Yes, you read that correctly. Some of the highest caliber content on writing and publishing children’s books that I’ve ever seen and they organized and provided it at no cost to us. I know I learned more over that three day period than I could have in six months, so this week’s Gratitude Sunday/Monday mashup post is dedicated to them.
Quotes on Gratitude
“If people offer their help or wisdom as you go through life, accept it gratefully. You can learn much from those who have gone before you.” — Edmund O’Neill
“I can no other answer make, but, thanks, and thanks.” — William Shakespeare
“Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.” — Voltaire
Gratitude List for the week ending August 14
- All of the WriteOnCon conference, but especially the live sessions as well as Tiffany Strelitz Haber’s sessions on rhyming picture books. I needed the advice, inspiration and hope she provided.
- My husband, for flying solo with the kids 4 nights in a row so I could be glued to WriteOnCon, go to my book club, and have a Girl’s Night Out.
- All of the wonderful people who commented on my query and WIPs that I shared on the conference forums. I will put all of this fantastic feedback to work making my pieces better.
- My own online critique group. My work wouldn’t be nearly as far along today if it weren’t for them.
- Karen Collum and Kat Apel for organizing the Twitter #pblitchats every Sunday. I learn so much every time, and it’s wonderful to connect with fellow writers every week.
- Weather in the eighties, and taking Rocky with us on a family hike.
- Getting Em’s school shopping done.
- Girl’s Night Out to see the movie Eat, Pray, Love.
- An outdoor Margareaders meeting on one of my all-time favorite books – The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz-Zafon.
- TOMATOES FROM THE GARDEN
What are you grateful for this week?Authors, Children's Books, Publishing, Rhyming, Works in Progress, Writing · Tags: Publishing, Rhyming, WriteOnCon, Writing