The highlight of this week was doing an all-day visit at my kids’ elementary school. I shared the print version of A TROOP IS A GROUP OF MONKEYS and both apps. I’ve never had so much concentrated interaction with readers before, nor so much feedback on the books from their actual audience. What a blast! Plus, after spending a full day in the library, my appreciation for and awe of librarians and teachers has increased exponentially. So this week’s gratitude quotes are dedicated to them.
Quotes on Gratitude
“One looks back with appreciation to the brilliant teachers, but with gratitude to those who touched our human feelings. The curriculum is so much necessary raw material, but warmth is the vital element for the growing plant and for the soul of the child.” — Carl Jung
“A good teacher is like a candle – it consumes itself to light the way for others.” — Mustafa Kemal Atatürk
“None of us got where we are solely by pulling ourselves up by our bootstraps. We got here because somebody – a parent, a teacher, an Ivy League crony or a few nuns – bent down and helped us pick up our boots.” — Thurgood Marshall
Gratitude list for the week ending November 9
- Receiving Susan Eaddy’s first completed illustration for MY LOVE FOR YOU IS THE SUN. So beautiful it took my breath away!
- Doing an all-day school visit on Wednesday. There is nothing quite like watching children enjoy your books!
- Running into a little girl two days later who ran up to me and said, “You’re an author. You came to my school this week! I loved your books!”
- My Kickstarter campaign to fund MY LOVE FOR YOU IS THE SUN was approved! We launch (UPDATE: NOW LAUNCHED!) on Tuesday at 2:00 EDT!
- My “Crowdfunding Crew,” who put lots of time in this week to give me feedback on the campaign page and video. Plus for keeping me sane!
- My whole extended family – for providing the “source” for MLFY is the SUN.
- Plumbers, Heating & Cooling Techs, Cable Guys and all the other hard-working people who help keep my home running smoothly. 🙂
- My in-person critique partners, who talked me out of my terror during our meeting on Friday 🙂
- Three of my Writer’s Renaissance 2013 alumni met up in Chicago for as part of a book tour for one of their books — TRIPTYCH by Margit Liesche. They celebrated book publications (TXTNG MAMA, TXTNG BABY for Esther Hershenhorn) and a book sale for children’s author Carolyn Crimi. They sent me a photo and a lovely note. It makes me so happy to know that the friendships forged in Florence last April are not only alive and well, but thriving.
- Chicken noodle soup
What are you grateful for this week?Categories: A Shiver of Sharks, A Troop is a Group of Monkeys, Books, Crowdfunding, Family, Florence, Gratitude Sunday, Italy, Publishing, Storybook Apps, Writer's Renaissance, Writing · Tags: A Troop is a Group of Monkeys, Author, Carolyn Crimi, Crowdfunding, Esther Hershenhorn, Family, Florence, Italy, Julie Hedlund, Kickstarter, Margit LIesche, My Love for You is the Sun, Picture Books, School Visits, Susan Eaddy, Writer's Renaissance, Writing