Those of you who follow me on Facebook know that my family and I endured a terrible ordeal this week. Our sweet, loving dog Rocky was shot on Monday morning, deliberately and with the intent to kill. I don’t want to dwell on all of our the pain, suffering and anger in this post though, because we were also able to witness a miracle. Rocky survived, after being given almost no chance. He lays next to me on the couch as I write this post.
This Gratitude Sunday post is dedicated to Rocky and to all of the veterinarians, nurses, assistants, caregivers and administrative staff at both his “home” animal hospital and the emergency animal hospital who helped him to live. But even more than that, this post is dedicated to EVERYONE who kept Rocky in their hearts and thoughts this week and lent us support and love, whether that was online, over the phone, or in person. There is not a shred of doubt in my mind that it was the power of all that love that gave Rocky the strength to come back to us. As a result, I’ve been able to tell my kids that MOST people in this world are good and loving and kind, and that one disturbed individual who conducts one act of evil cannot overcome the goodness in the hearts of the many. Thank you!
I do have quotes on gratitude for the dogs and animals that dwell in our homes and hearts, but I am foregoing making my usual gratitude list for the reason that there are far too many individuals and events to list and every one of them leads back to Rocky being alive. I do have a different kind of list, however, that I hope you will enjoy.
Quotes on Gratitude for Dogs
“If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience.” — Woodrow Wilson
“The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.” — Andy Rooney
“Dogs are our link to paradise. They don’t know evil or jealousy or discontent.” — Milan Kundera
Everything I Know About Life I Learned From My Dog Rocky
- Nothing is more important than family.
- You CAN do what seems impossible.
- Just because one person treats you poorly doesn’t mean others will.
- Always keep your sense of adventure.
- Carry yourself with grace and confidence. Know you are beautiful.
- Do not live your life in fear.
- Play outside often.
- Give more hugs and kisses than are strictly necessary under the circumstances.
- Few things are finer than a perfectly grilled steak. Except maybe bacon.
- If you must bark, make sure it’s for a good cause.
- Make friends with llamas and sheep. They’re good people.
- Play hard. Nap hard.
- Treat children like the treasures they are, and always protect them.
- NEVER give up.
- If you are lost, trust you will find your way home again.
- Most people are nice. Stay away from the mean ones.
- Never forget how much you are loved.
- Greet your loved ones at the front door with robust enthusiasm, so that they will know how much they were missed.
- Enjoy every meal to the utmost.
- Be present with yourself and your loved ones. Don’t dwell on the past or worry about the future.
What are you grateful for this week?Dogs, Family, Friendship, Gratitude Sunday · Tags: Dogs, Family, Friendship, Gratitude, Gratitude Sunday, Rocky