Happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there, including my husband, who is an amazing father. To my own dad, know how very much I love and miss you. I am grateful for the best week I’ve ever had at Rancho la Puerta (and believe me when I tell you it’s impossible to have a bad one). So, this past week was the best among the best, if that makes sense. I will write more as I process it all, but for now let me simply give thanks for the existence of that miraculous place. Please put it on your list of places to go. It is a vacation that keeps on giving, as the Ranch stays with you long after you leave it.
At Rancho, there is a slate tablet near the yoga (Montanya) gym, upon which an unidentified fairy places inspirational quotes each day. The first of the quotes I share with you this week come from that slate – Wednesday’s I believe.
Quotes on Gratitude
“Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out.” — John Wooden
“A human being is part of the whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separate from the rest—a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.” — Albert Einstein
“The grateful mind is constantly fixed upon the best; therefore, it tends to become the best.” — Wallace D. Wattles
Gratitude List for the week ending June 19
- Spending mucho quality time with Jane.
- Hiking every morning before breakfast
- Breakfast every morning after hiking!
- The smell of rosemary and jasmine everywhere around the Ranch.
- Irene, Christine and Leslie – I learned so much from all of you. You are all definitely part of what made this week my best one at Rancho.
- Bingo with Barry – even more hilarious and risque than usual (yes, Bingo can be risque – if it’s with Barry)
- Amazing yoga practice – including getting into headstand for the first time by simply kicking my legs up in the air. Oh the exhilaration!
- Susannah’s Crystal Bowl sound healing class – the deepest meditative state I’ve ever reached. Afterward, the colors were brighter, the wind softer, and the birdsong more beautiful. The whole world in technicolor.
- The turtle that sunned himself by the pond we passed on our way to and from the dining hall
- The flourless chocolate “cake” they gave us for dessert in the middle of the week. It tasted real, even if it was in a ramekin the size of a toenail.
And much, much, much more. But enough about me. What are you grateful for this week?Gratitude Sunday, Travel · Tags: Gratitude, Gratitude Sunday, Rancho la Puerta, Travel, Yoga