I am pleased to report we came home from our whirlwind Ohio/Michigan vacation in great spirits after having enjoyed some of the most spectacular summer weather Northern Michigan has to offer. While the weather Gods smiled upon us, the kids spent hours swimming, fishing, boating and just plain mucking around in the lakes. I adore Colorado, but whenever I go back to Michigan I realize how much I miss the abundance of fresh water available there. But then it’s always great to see the mountains again, too. And Rocky of course! 🙂
P.S. This is the first week since I’ve started blogging that I haven’t posted even once between two Sundays. Blogging with the kids out of school and while on vacation has proved more difficult than I anticipated. I’ll be back to a more regular schedule (fingers crossed!) now that we are home.
Quotes on Gratitude
“(Happiness) is produced not so much by great pieces of good fortune that seldom happen as by little advantages that occur every day” — Benjamin Franklin
“…I think the real miracle is not to walk either on water or in thin air, but to walk on earth. Every day we are engaged in a miracle which we don’t even recognize: a blue sky, white clouds, green leaves, the black, curious eyes of a child — our own two eyes. All is a miracle.” — That Nich Hanh
“Gratitude is a quality similar to electricity: it must be produced and discharged and used up in order to exist at all.” — William Faulkner
Gratitude List for the week ending July 17
- Fulfilling my childhood dream of spending a night in the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island (post on that coming soon)
- Riding bikes around Mackinac Island, Em and I on a tandem with wide handlebars and a basket in front. Riding on the sun-dappled road with Lake Huron in constant view, I felt like I should have been wearing an ankle-length Victorian dress complete with girdle and lace-up boots. Luckily, I was in shorts and T-shirt instead.
- Stopping for a swim break in the crystal clear waters of Lake Huron
- Murdick’s Mackinac Island fudge – particularly the Chocolate Macadamia Nut
- Taking the kids on a carriage ride on the island
- “Taking” my niece to see Eclipse (okay, okay – I asked if she wanted to go so I could go too)
- Picking Rocky up from doggy daycare when we got home
- Enjoying our first produce from the garden – rainbow chard and sugar snap peas
- Standing on the patio in bare feet after dark and feeling the heat retained from the summer sun in the stones.
- I hate to admit it, but I am grateful to once again have a regular and reliable Internet connection.
What are you grateful for this week?Childhood, Family, Gratitude Sunday, Summer, Travel · Tags: Grand Hotel, Gratitude, Gratitude Sunday, Mackinac Island, Summer, Travel, Vacation