Welcome to the second post in my new Gratitude Sunday series. I found that I really enjoyed mulling over what I wanted to include in this list as the week progressed. Before the list, though, a story.
I went to the library one morning this week and stopped at the little coffee shop to get a tea to fortify me in my work. Standing at the register, I noticed a little jar with a sign that read, “Food for Thought. Take a thought. If it speaks to you, put it in your pocket. If it doesn’t, put it back in the jar.” Inside the jar were little scrolls of white paper tied with black curling ribbon. ‘Why not?’ I thought. I put my hand in the jar and pulled out a scroll. Here is what it said:
“Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow.” — Melody Beattie
Amazing how just putting more focus on something makes it land right in your lap. Here are a few more quotes for the week, followed by ‘The List.’
Quotes on Gratitude:
“I see skies of blue / clouds of white / bright blessed days / dark sacred nights / and I think to myself / what a wonderful world” — Louis Armstrong (singer), Bob Thiele and George David Weiss (Music & Lyrics)
“Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.” — Cicero
“Wake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving.” — Khalil Gibran
Gratitude List for the week ending February 28th
- Completing my Write-a-thon and meeting my 30-hour writing goal!!!
- The generous donations for the American Heart Association received from friends and family in sponsorship of the write-a-thon.
- My sainted mother taking the kids for the night on Friday so I could finish my writing.
- A Dr. Seuss marathon with the kids in honor of his birthday on March 2nd, kicked off by Em reading Green Eggs and Ham to Jay and me.
- Having FIVE manuscripts in varying stages of completion (started the week with three)
- Sunny, 50 degree weather all week. Spring is nigh!
- Going for a run outside with Rocky.
- Coffee (tea for me) date with a new friend.
- A PTO that has the cash flow to stem some of the impending budget cuts at Em’s school next year
- Greeting Olympic athletes coming home from Vancouver at Chicago O’Hare airport.
What are you grateful for this week?Dogs, Family, Gratitude Sunday, Works in Progress, Write-a-thon, Writing · Tags: American Heart Association, Dogs, Dr. Seuss, Family, Friends, Gratitude, Rocky, Spirituality, Sunny Weather, tea, Winter Olympics, WIP, Write-a-thon, Writing