Live from Vancouver… it’s Gratitude Sunday. With church bells ringing across the street and a sweeping view out to the Pacific from my hotel window, life is good. You may recall I am here fulfilling one of my 108 dreams, which is to study with Eckhart Tolle in person. I’m attending two days of lectures and Q & A with Eckhart, which started yesterday. There are no words for what Eckhart’s teachings have meant to me in the last decade or so since I first picked up The Power of Now. With respect to gratitude, this quote of Eckhart’s from A New Earth reminds me of the power of gratitude. He says, “The acknowledgment of that abundance that is all around you awakens the dormant abundance within.” In other words, practicing gratitude and expressing appreciation increases not only our external abundance but more importantly, our internal abundance. Once abundance is within us, part of us, we can let it flow out into the world, to others.
I wondered if being with him in person would be that much more powerful than reading the books or watching him on TV, and the answer to that question is – yes it is. I’ll have more to write about that later this week, but for now let’s commence with this week’s Gratitude Sunday post. It seemed only fitting to use a few of Eckhart’s own quotes on gratitude this week.
Quotes on Gratitude from Eckhart Tolle
“When you are open to the present moment what comes in is a gratitude for what is, no matter what it is. The little plant, the air you’re breathing, the light that is coming through the window, the sound of a bird – whatever is, there is a goodness to it. And even if it looks bad… when you are totally aligned with the present moment there is a peace that comes into your perceptions and with that peace comes a gratitude that is very deep.”
“Acknowledging the good that you already have in your life is the foundation for all abundance.”
“Whatever you think people are withholding from you–praise, appreciation, assistance, loving care, and so on– give it to them… You cannot receive what you don’t give. Outflow determines inflow. Whatever you think the world is withholding from you, you already have, but unless you allow it to flow out, you won’t even know that you have it. This includes abundance.”
“The source of all abundance is not outside you. It is part of who you are.”
Gratitude List for the week ending August 28
- Well, there’s the live event with Eckhart Tolle…
- Eckhart’s smile. Never before have I seen such a smile. People talk about smiles that reach to the eyes, but Eckhart’s smile goes behind the eyes and beyond the eyes. He becomes the smile.
- The inspiration and hope that by doing this inner work, I can help my children to live more present, conscious and fulfilled lives.
- Reminder from Eckhart yesterday that, “There are no problems. Only situations.“
- My family, for supporting these seemingly crazy expeditions of mine.
- The Crepe Cafe in downtown Vancouver – specifically the feta, spinach and egg and the Nutella – yum!
- A morning run down to the waterfront this morning. Abundant sunshine, seagulls, sailboats…
- Going to sleep without setting an alarm.
- Spending a quiet, relaxing day with Phil on Friday to celebrate his birthday.
- A long hot bath with a book.
What are you grateful for this week?Gratitude Sunday · Tags: A New Earth, Eckhart Tolle, Gratitude, Gratitude Sunday, The Power of Now