My gratitude cup doth indeed runneth over this week. Not least of what I have to be grateful for was attending the Rocky Mountain SCBWI annual conference. This is my third time attending, so I now have a whole circle of people I look forward to reconnecting with every year. You could not find a group of people anywhere with a greater generosity of heart and spirit.
Quotes on Gratitude
“Thankfulness is the beginning of gratitude. Gratitude is the completion of thankfulness. Thankfulness may consist merely of words. Gratitude is shown in acts.” — Henri Frederic Amiel
“What if you gave someone a gift, and they neglected to thank you for it – would you be likely to give them another? Life is the same way. In order to attract more of the blessings that life has to offer, you must truly appreciate what you already have.” — Ralph Marston
“Deficiency motivation doesn’t work. It will lead to a life-long pursuit of try to fix me. Learn to appreciate what you have and where and who you are.” — Wayne Dyer
Gratitude List for the week ending September 17
- Em had homework this week to make a newspaper about herself called “All About Me.” She put a write-up about me in the “My Hero” section. THAT is what makes it all worthwhile!
- The amazingly generous blogger and online friends I have. When I asked for help choosing between two posts to submit to a travel anthology, so many of you jumped at the chance to give assistance. Thanks again!
- I signed up for group coaching with someone uniquely qualified to help me get a “secret” project I’m working on off the ground. I can’t wait to start!
- Friends and family who listened to me talk ad nauseam this week about said project and offered ideas, advice and encouragement.
- Getting a meeting with one of my personal heroes to discuss how we might work together to publish one of my books!
- Hanging out with my Rocky Mountain SCBWI tribe for three days at the annual conference.
- Author/illustrator Adam Rex’s gut-busting and inspiring keynote speech. Seriously, I can’t remember the last time I laughed so hard.
- I had a major epiphany during the writer’s intensive, not just about my current WIP, but about a writing “tic” that I have. Now I’ll know to look out for that every time I write something.
- I got to sit next to the brilliant and hilarious agent Kristin Nelson at the banquet. We reminisced about favorite Saturday Night Live skits (Buckwheat, Coneheads, “YOU UGLY” cheer, Mr. Bill…). I so wish she represented picture books. If you write YA, you MUST query her. She would be a dream agent.
- I won two books as door prizes, including one by Lita Judge – Yellowstone Moran: Painting the American West. I was ecstatic to get this book because years ago, I wandered into a Moran exhibit quite by accident in Seattle and was absolutely blown away by his painting of the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone. I had recently been there, and looking at the painting was just like standing on the edge of the canyon. I bought a poster that day which has moved with me from my single days to now. The fact that I won this book is further proof of a belief I’ve long held: that books choose their readers.
What are you grateful for this week?Categories: Agents, Children's Books, Gratitude Sunday, Picture Books, Publishing, SCBWI, Works in Progress, Writing · Tags: Gratitude, Gratitude Sunday, Quotes on Gratitude, Rocky Mountain Chapter SCBWI, SCBWI