It was a big week in the Hedlund house. Em performed in her very first musical – 101 Dalmations. She was amazing in her role and most importantly, had a blast! Her enthusiasm was infectious, and we are so proud of her. Not only that, but after the show I had just enough time to take off her makeup, get her changed and take her to play in her first basketball game of the season. Even though she must have been tired, she played her little heart out. Yes, kids can definitely teach us something about joy and commitment. She loved every minute of both, and to say that I am grateful to have her as my daughter would be an epic understatement. Without further adieu, here’s the list for the week.
Quotes on Gratitude
“Even after all this time,
The sun never says to the earth,
“You owe me.”
Look what happens with
A love like that.
It lights the whole sky.” — Hafiz of Persia
“The deepest craving of human nature is the need to be appreciated.” — William James
“The easiest way I have found to humble myself back into a state of peaceful grace is through the act of gratitude.” — Jill Bolte Taylor
Gratitude list for the week ending November 12
- Em in her play! Such a treat to see all their hard work come together in an amazing performance.
- Jay coming up behind Em after the play, giving her a big hug and saying, “You were so great!”
- The Girls Leadership Institute, which is running a month-long program at Em’s school for 2nd and 3rd graders, teaching them how to be strong, stand up and speak up for themselves and others. It’s a mother-daughter program, and I’m learning as much as she is!
- My oldest nephew won first place in the Varsity debate tournament and he’s only a freshman! He’s a chip off the old block (my brother) and his old block (my father)
There isn’t much good news coming out of Greece these days, but a close friend of mine became an uncle last Sunday when his sister gave birth to a little boy – Kostakis. There is nothing like a brand new life to remind you of what really matters.
- Warm enough weather to take two outdoor runs this week.
- Take-out food – it’s what kept us alive during this very busy week!
- The Margareaders (my book club). We had a great discussion about Unbroken at our meeting this week. I’ve never failed to have a blast at our meetings.
- Watching the gorgeous full moon rising on the horizon.
- Rocky made friends with two of the sheep that live behind our yard. It’s so fun to watch them interact. Now he is trying to dig a hole underneath the fence to reach his new friends. The llamas, however, are still the mortal enemy. 🙂
What are you grateful for this week?Categories: Book Club, Books, Dogs, Family, Gratitude Sunday · Tags: 101 Dalmations, Book Club, Books, Dogs, Family, Girls Leadership Institute, Gratitude, Gratitude Sunday, Julie Hedlund, Margareaders, Quotes on Gratitude, Rocky, Unbroken, Writer