I couldn’t post this yesterday because the wireless wasn’t working at the Breckenridge rental. Which is a bummer because I wanted this to post on Em’s actual birthday – the 15th – when she turned 9 years old. But better late than never.
This week’s Gratitude Sunday post is dedicated to Em. I am so blessed to have her as a daughter. To say I could not imagine my life without her is the world’s biggest understatement.
Quotes on Gratitude for Daughters
“A daughter is a miracle that never ceases to be miraculous… full of beauty and forever beautiful… loving and caring and truly amazing.” — Deanna Beisser
“A daughter may outgrow your lap, but she will never outgrow your heart.” — Author Unknown
“A daughter is the happy memories of the past, the joyful moments of the present, and the hope and promise of the future.” — Author Unknown
Reasons I am grateful for Em
- She is kind and compassionate. So much so that when a new girl came into the classroom, the teacher sat her next to Em because she knew Em would take care of her and make her feel welcome.
- Likewise, she takes excellent care of her little brother. Of course they argue, but when push comes to shove she is his fiercest protector and most patient teacher.
- She is very artistic – in visual, verbal AND dramatic arts.
- She loves reading and writing.
- She asks for (and gives) LOTS of hugs, and often tells me, “You’re the best Mom in the whole world.”
- Even as she gets older and wants to spend more time with her friends, family always comes first for her.
- She is very sensitive and doesn’t have a mean bone in her body. For this reason, friends have sometimes taken advantage of her. Instead of accepting this treatment, she’s worked with us and other adults to learn to stand up for herself and express her needs and feelings. Now she is not only a good friend to others, but understands what makes someone a good friend for her.
- She is adventurous with experiences (if a little shy with new people). She climbs rock walls, rides horses, skis, dances, acts, paints, swims, plays basketball. She loves art museums and science museums equally. She’s always willing to try something new.
- She loves school and values learning.
- When she laughs, the world stands still to listen to so pure and beautiful a sound.
What are you grateful for this week?Categories: Birthdays, Childhood, Family, Gratitude Sunday · Tags: Birthdays, Family, Gratitude, Gratitude Sunday, Julie Hedlund, Writer