Another crazy fantastic week in Italy – this time Bologna. Learned so much about the children’s book biz, including much ado about apps (more to come soon). Bologna won me over with its lovely porticoes and outstanding food. It’s a completely different world in Bologna from Florence, even though it’s only a 35 minute train ride. If you ever go, make sure you pack your black. It seems the only two colors people wear there are black and dark wash jeans. I felt like an Easter egg in my wardrobe. As a friend said, “Bologna – where black is the new black.”
Quotes on Gratitude
“Joy is not in things, it is in us.” — Joan Borysenko
“There is as much greatness of mind in acknowledging a good turn, as in doing it.” — Seneca
“Love is the true means by which the world is enjoyed: our love to others, and others’ love to us.” — Thomas Traherne
Gratitude list for the week ending March 24
- First, I am grateful for my in-laws, my stepmother and my mom for helping my husband hold down the fort while I took this epic trip to Italy. Thank you!!
- Learning enough about apps and ebooks at the ToC Bologna conference to make my head spin. Cheers to Kat Meyer and the entire O’Reilly team making it all happen.
- Meeting Katherine Paterson, author of one of my all-time favorite books – Bridge to Terabithia
- SCBWI Bologna dance party!
- The folks who put together the SCBWI booth program for the Bologna Book Fair – Kathleen Ahrens, Angela Cerrita, Kirsten Carlson, Bridget Strevens-Marzo, Tioka Tokedira, Chris Cheng, and anyone else I am forgetting. These guys worked tirelessly to provide great programming, regional showcases, and opportunities for writers and illustrators attending the fair. Grazie mille!
- Making wonderful new friends – including all of the above, plus Sarah Towle, Emily Smith Pearce, Danika Dinsmore, Susan Eaddy, Lucy Coats, Barbara McClintock, and Andi Ipaktchi.
- Hall after hall after hall of nothing but children’s books – enough said!
- Tagliatelle ragu and red wine with Danika and Susan – lovely dinner
- The city of Bologna itself, with its seductive porticoes, antiquarian bookshops, black-clad residents spilling into the streets from Enoteche at night, savory food shops and best of all, Gelateria Gianni!
- Receiving the best welcome home in history from my kids. The sign was fantastic, but the hugs and kisses even more precious. How I missed them!
What are you grateful for this week?Categories: Apps, Authors, Bologna Children's Book Fair, Children's Books, Digital Publishing, ebooks, Friendship, Gratitude Sunday, Italy, Picture Books, Publishing, SCBWI, Storybook Apps, Travel, Travel Writing, Writing · Tags: Andi Ipaktchi, Angela Cerrita, apps, Barbara McClintock, Bologna, Bologna Children's Book Fair, Bridge to Terabithia, Bridget Strevens-Marzo, Children's Books, Chris Cheng, Danika Dinsmore, Digital Publishing, ebooks, Emily Smith Pearce, Gratitude, Gratitude Sunday, Italy, Julie Hedlund, Katherine Paterson, Kathleen Ahrens, Kirsten Carlson, Lucy Coats, Publishing, Sarah Towle, SCBWI, SCBWI Bologna, Susan Eaddy, Tioke Tokedira, ToC Bologna, Travel, Writer, Writing