Some weeks, it is simply impossible to put on a brave face, smile, and say everything is okay. This is one of those weeks for me. You may have noticed that the blog has been fairly quiet lately, and I haven’t been “around” the Internet as much. I don’t intend to share the specifics because they are private, but I feel compelled to mention my emotional state because now I am “practicing what I preach.” That is, I am practicing gratitude at a time when I don’t necessarily feel grateful.
My daughter went to an art camp this week and produced the collage you see in the photo. I have used it as my touchstone this week. As a reminder that while the world is a messy, unpredictable, chaotic place, in the midst of it all, it is also very beautiful.
Quotes on Gratitude
“The purpose of life, after all, is to love it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.” — Eleanor Roosevelt
“We begin to find ourselves when we notice how we are already found, already truly, entirely, wildly, messily, marvelously who we were born to be.” — Anne Lamott
“Gratitude … goes beyond the ‘mine’ and ‘thine’ and claims the truth that all of life is a pure gift. In the past I always thought of gratitude as a spontaneous response to the awareness of gifts received, but now I realize that gratitude can also be lived as a discipline. The discipline of gratitude is the explicit effort to acknowledge that all I am and have is given to me as a gift of love, a gift to be celebrated with joy.” — Henri J.M. Nouwen
Gratitude List for the week ending July 28
- I received some exciting news this week. I can’t yet reveal details, but they are exciting. When I am able to reveal them, you will be excited too (I hope)! 🙂
- A slight break in the scorching hot weather, including a little rain
- My critique group buddies, who cheered me up immensely on Monday night
- Going to my daughter’s “art show,” having lunch, and then heading to the library
- Going to the Farmer’s Market Wed. night and finding it cool enough to picnic in the park
- Getting new author/website photos taken, including the chance to feel like a movie star when my friend Cindy did my makeup!
- The Olympic opening ceremonies
- Schramsberg champagne
- The anticipation and excitement of seeing one of my best college friends next week – AND seeing Les Mis.
- The anticipation and excitement of attending SCBWI -LA next week
What are you grateful for this week?Categories: Family, Friendship, Gratitude Sunday, SCBWI, Summer · Tags: Critique Groups, Family, Friendship, Gratitude, Gratitude Sunday, Julie Hedlund, SCBWI, Summer, Writer