My dad’s birthday is tomorrow, and it’s become a bit of a tradition for me to honor his memory with a blog post. I wrote one last year and the year before that. This year I decided to dedicate a Gratitude Sunday post to him, so this week’s list includes 10 reasons why I am grateful to him, although of course there are many more than ten.
Quotes on Gratitude
“When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.” — Kahlil Gibran
“When someone you love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure.” — Unknown
“The highest tribute to the dead is not grief but gratitude.” — Thornton Wilder
Gratitude list for my father
- I am grateful that, long before any man would come into life, he made me understand what it felt like to be cherished.
- I am grateful he taught me how to make turkey gravy his way.
- I am grateful he got to meet both of my children.
- I am grateful he provided me with a college education, and although it was difficult at times, I’m grateful that he pushed me to perform at my highest level in everything I did.
- I am grateful that he taught me the rules of football so I could be a true Wolverine.
- I am grateful for his dedication to family traditions, many of which I have passed on to my own children.
- Living with a lawyer in the family is not always easy, but I know it sharpened my wits, helped me learn to defend myself in a conflict, to learn the art of preparation, and to think logically when necessary. For these skills, I am grateful.
- I am grateful that when our neighbor Mr. Peterson threatened to force us to put our dog to sleep, my dad, in no uncertain terms, made it clear we would not and that furthermore, the subject was never to be raised again. (Again that lawyer thing)
- I am grateful he taught me to appreciate the small, but infinite and miraculous moments in nature that happen all around us all the time.
- I am grateful for his warped, sometimes twisted, and entirely unique sense of humor. Fred Foster stories are legendary among all who knew him, and it helps to have so many memories that make me laugh.
Categories: Birthdays, Childhood, College Football, Dogs, Family, Gratitude Sunday · Tags: Birthdays, Childhood, Dad, Dogs, Family, Gratitude, Gratitude Sunday, Michigan Football