In honor of Deathly Hallows Part I arriving in theaters next week, Nathan Bransford hosted a week’s worth of Harry Potter themed posts, including writing lessons we can learn from J.K. Rowling. If you haven’t checked them out yet – do.
Today he invited us all to write our own Harry Potter posts. I don’t have the time today to do a deep analysis of the books, their impact on children’s literature, the writing genius (minus the adverbs), or the sheer wonderfulness of the series.
Instead, I offer you a list of the top ten things from Harry Potter’s world that I would most like to have. Here goes:
10. Sneakoscope. I would want to use this more to identify people who might have less than the best intentions toward my children than myself. Still, it would be handy to have an “alarm” to verify when people are trying to pull a fast one on you.
9. Pensieve. What a luxury to be able to preserve my memories, exactly as the moments occurred, for future reference and enjoyment. Sure would be a great writing tool wouldn’t it?
8. Firebolt. Because how fun would it be to fly around on the fastest broom ever constructed? I’d settle for the Nimbus 2000 though…
7. Polyjuice Potion. Whenever I got the urge to “walk in someone else’s shoes” I could – for an hour at least.
6. Veritaserum. For when you really need to extract the truth from someone. What a handy little tool…
5. Felix Felices. Ah, the lucky potion. I would drink it right before sending a query to my dream agent.
4. Bertie Bott’s Every Flavor Beans. How I would love to tuck those into my kids’ Easter baskets.
3. Marauder’s Map. I might not have much use for it now, but I bet it would be essential when my kids are teenagers (especially coupled with the Sneakoscope – watch out boys who want to date my daughter!!).
2. Invisibility Cloak. The ability to go anywhere and be invisible? Very tempting. So much so that it was almost my #1 choice. Alas, no…
The number one thing I would want from Harry Potter’s world???
1. A House Elf. Kind of goes without saying that a creature eternally devoted to you who considers cooking, cleaning and serving you to be the ultimate honor is every woman’s dream. The fact that they also consider payment an insult and they are not able to reveal secrets makes them perfect. (Count me as one of those who would NOT support S.P.E.W). 🙂
What do you most desire from Harry’s world?Categories: Books, Children's Books · Tags: Harry Potter, J.K. Rowling, Nathan Bransford