Well, folks, we’ve made it to the last day of 12 x 12 in 2013. So hard to believe another whole year of picture book writing, revising and submitting has come to an end. Part of me is sad, but most of me just wants to CELEBRATE what we all accomplished together this year!
So many of you got agents, got published, won contests, submitted your work, launched a website or a blog, learned to make videos, attended conferences and formed critique groups. Just as important, I have no doubt that each one of us faced the demons of disappointment and self-doubt this year. All of us, I am sure, at some point decided to dust ourselves off and keep. going. Each step we took this year, large or small, became a step in the direction of our collective dream to bring more picture books into the world. Just IMAGINE how much new work is out there as a result of 12 x 12. It’s both staggering and inspiring.
As for the actual checking-in part, some of you will be reporting that you finished your twelfth manuscript and are therefore an official “winner” of the challenge. If that is the case, please contact me so I can make sure you get on the 2013 Winner’s Wall.
This December, for me, had extreme highs and extreme lows. Nonetheless, I wanted to “finish strong” this year and follow my own advice to keep going. So in the last few days, I wrote a draft. It’s terrible right now, but I love it. I think it’s going places.
Here’s my full tally for the year. I found myself pleasantly surprised that I had written more than I thought I did. THAT is the beauty of the accountability of 12 x 12! 🙂
- January: I wrote one-half of a PB draft and the first chapter of a chapter book that I am not going to finish. Loved writing it though!
- February: No draft
- March: TWO new drafts, plus two revisions of previous drafts!
- April: No draft
- May: No draft
- June: HONK! No draft again
- July: STILL no draft
- August: EXTENSIVE revision on an existing draft – a revision I was particularly pleased with.
- September: Wrote one draft and revised another – woo hoo!
- October: No new draft
- November: Wrote a new draft!
- December: Wrote a new draft!
All told that’s 5.5 new picture book drafts, one chapter of a chapter book, and four revisions. I’ll take it!
How about you? Whether you wrote 12 drafts or one draft or simply pushed yourself in a new way, take a moment to celebrate your achievements on this last day of the year. Then come back for 12 x 12 in 2014!! I’ll meet you there! 🙂
How did you do in December? Let us know in the comments and of course in the Rafflecopter.
Here is what you need to do to check in for a chance to win a 12 x 12 2014 Little GOLDen Book Membership!
- See the Rafflecopter widget at the end of this post that says “One Little GOLDen Book Membership” at the top.
- Click on the “Comment on Julie’s Blog Post” button. It will reveal the task, which is to comment on my blog post. Commenting on my post is mandatory and gets you one point even if you didn’t complete a draft in December. If you haven’t yet commented, click here to do so. Then you click ENTER on that option in Rafflecopter, which will then open the next two options.
- Click on the “Wrote a PB Manuscript” button. This will ask if you completed a PB draft in December. If you did, click ENTER, if you did not, move on to the next step.
- Click on the last “Revised a PB Manuscript” button. This will ask if you revised a PB in December. If you did, click ENTER. If not, move on to the next step.
- Submit your entry. Rafflecopter will track your points.
You have until midnight Eastern on January 1st to enter your results. I will then have Rafflecopter draw a winner and announce it on the blog on January 2nd.
Thank you for an amazing year in 12 x 12 and just keep going!
a Rafflecopter giveaway