Short for, Nathan Bransford’s Blog Post Today Inspired Me So Much I Had To Write One Of My Own. In the post, Nathan talks about what a writer needs most which, contrary to popular belief, is not talent but willpower. It’s the hard work of forcing yourself to sit down and write when there are a million other things you’d rather do. The romanticized view of the writing life is that of a writer encapsulated in a cozy nook, downing coffee and banging out brilliant poetry or prose while practically catatonic under the weight of creative genius. If only. Nathan points out that being good at writing, just like anything else, requires a lot of hard (and grunt) work. Jane Yolen, in her SCBWI keynote speech, described this discipline as “B.I.C.” for “Butt in Chair” = writing.
Nathan – agent, writer and blogger extraordinaire – then took the BIC concept a bit further to come up with his own acronyms, the first one being “OMGTWISNTBICGOBINTW: Oh my god the weather is so nice today but I can’t go outside because I need to write.” There are more. Check them out here. After I finished laughing my a$$ off, I decided I just had to get my own acronyms for the writing process, so here goes:
1. TOTIEFLFLIWISBRAM: The only time I ever feel like folding laundry is when I should be revising a manuscript.
2. TNTWTMREOGAIAVETQWFTD: The need to watch the most recent episode of Grey’s Anatomy IS a valid excuse to quit writing for the day.
3. HB?PFFTDBWYGASM: Hello, brilliance? Please feel free to drop by when you get a spare minute.
4. OWBSFCHSBSBDTHMAHGWMBCO: Oprah will be sorry for canceling her show because she’ll be dying to have me as her guest when my book comes out.
5. SACOGOWDNITQOOW: Surely, a couple of glasses of wine does not impede the quality of one’s writing.
I could go on, but I’ll spare you.
So, what would your acronyms be? It can be related to any type of work, not just writing. Let’s hear them!I Need Wine Pronto!, SCBWI, Writing · Tags: Jane Yolen, Nathan Bradsford, Oprah, SCBWI, Writing