Sorry things have been so quiet on the blog this week. I have some major non-writing related things going on right now, including: In a few weeks, we’ll be putting our house on the market. I won’t bore you with the reasons why other than to say it’s the right thing for us to do right now, but anyone who’s been through this knows how much work it is to get a house ready for sale. It makes my decluttering project from last year seem like cake. We’ll be looking for a house in the same area, but I’m not even going there until this baby is on the market. In fact, this was another motivator to disappear for the summer. The only thing worse than getting a house ready for sale is trying to keep it clean and presentable with two kids home from school all summer. Italy is a much more pleasant alternative and one that will allow me to keep my sanity (I hope).
BUT – I have some exciting posts coming up starting next week. First, I’m going to jump into the ebook/self-publishing fray with several posts, beginning with highlights from a Jane Friedman Webinar I attended through Writer’s Digest. I’m also lining up more picture book authors for my How I Got My Agent series which I realize has grown cobwebs over the last month. And of course, there will still be Gratitude Sunday.
With that, I will leave you with some totally random thoughts that have crossed my mind this week. And by random, I mean random.
- At what age to men unlearn the fact that black calf-length socks worn with shorts and sneakers is not a good look. Guys – just don’t. Not ever.
- Is there anyone else who thinks the Jolly Green Giant’s leafy tunic should be at least a few inches longer? I mean, it doesn’t even cover the critical
parts. Remember when Jerry Falwell went haywire over the fact that the Tinky Winky Teletubby (supposedly a male character) carried a purse and had a triangle over his head. Falwell claimed Tinky Winky was included in the series as a gay role model for young children. You’d think the Green Giant would have been lower hanging fruit for him, as it were.
- Did you know that the BBC’s response to the criticism was: “Tinky Winky is simply a sweet, technological baby with a magic bag. He’s not gay. He’s not straight. He’s just a character in a children’s series.” Deep thoughts…
- Speaking of Deep Thoughts, does anyone remember Jack Handey’s from Saturday Night Live? I loved them so much I bought a book of them. Here’s one of my favorites: “Somebody told me how frightening it was how much topsoil we are losing, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.”
- And one just for writers: “I hope some animal never bores a hole in my head and lays its eggs in my brain, because later you might think you’re having a good idea but it’s just eggs hatching.”
Have a great weekend everyone!Categories: Uncategorized · Tags: Declutter, How I Got My Agent, Italy, Jane Friedman, Jolly Green Giant, Random