Okay 12 x 12 in 2012 participants, I hope you have your pitches polished and ready to go, because today is the day that freelance editor Tamson Weston’s pitch contest goes live.
Tamson is published children’s book author and editor with over 15 years experience at several prestigious publishing houses including HarperCollins, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and Disney Hyperion. Adam Rex, Mac Barnett, Robert Weinstock, Adam Gopnik, Jane Leslie Conly, Anne Rockwell, Deborah Hopkinson, Jen Violi, Alexander Stadler, and Dan Santat are just a few of the authors/illustrators she’s worked with. You can follow Tamson on her Blog, Facebook, and Twitter.
THIS is your opportunity to win a manuscript critique from Tamson, a $300 value!!!
- You must be a 12 x 12 participant to enter.
- You may choose ONE of your Picture Books to enter. If you enter more than once, all entries will be disqualified.
- To enter, you must leave the required information (as follows) as a comment to this post.
- Prepare a 140 character pitch for your story. This is the same as the maximum Twitter message (so you can check it on Twitter). If your pitch is more than 140 characters, it will be disqualified
- In addition to the pitch, you may submit the FIRST line and the FIRST line ONLY of your manuscript. The only exception to this rule is if your story is written in rhyming verse. In that case, you may submit the first four lines. Once again, any entries that exceed the eligible number of lines will be disqualified.
- You must include your full name at the end of your entry. No name = you guessed it — disqualified.
- You must pitch the story you want Tamson to critique.
- You must be ready to send your manuscript to Tamson within a few days after the contest results are announced on March 8th.
- The DEADLINE to enter is 7:00 EST on Sunday, February 19th. Comments will be closed at that time.
- I will work with my volunteer
elvesjudges to select the top 25 entries.
- The finalists will be announced on the blog on Saturday, February 25th.
- Finalists’ entries will be sent to Tamson, also on the 25th.
- Tamson will select winners and blog about the results on Thursday, March 8th.
In selecting prizes, I asked Tamson which were her favorite resources on writing picture books. She selected Writing With Pictures, by Uri Schulevitz, for craft and Dear Genius, the Letters of Ursula Nordstrom as the best glimpse into the editorial process. As such, these will be additional prizes.
- The GRAND PRIZE winner will receive a manuscript critique from Tamson.
- The FIRST PLACE winner will receive Writing With Pictures.
- The SECOND PLACE winner will receive Dear Genius.
Ready, Set, PITCH!Categories: 12 x 12 in 2012, Giveaway · Tags: Contest, Editors, Giveaway, Julie Hedlund, Picture Books, Pitch, Pitching, Tamson Weston, Writer, Writing