By this time tomorrow, I will have embarked upon one of the scariest journeys I’ve ever taken.
I’m not exaggerating.
Tomorrow, I am launching the Kickstarter campaign (UPDATE: Now Launched!) to fund the production, publication, and printing of my next picture book — MY LOVE FOR YOU IS THE SUN. This book is my heart of hearts, and although I am exhilarated to be taking this step, it is also terrifying to put myself out there so publicly.
In fact, to say that I am going “public” with this project is a bit of an understatement, since I’ve also pledged to track everything do and everything I learn in order to create a course on crowdfunding for writers when all is said and done. If you missed my five-part series of blog posts on the theme “Why Crowdfunding?” a couple of weeks ago, you can catch up now by clicking here.
Here are the top five things I’ve learned so far.
- If you are going to crowdfund, make it count. Select a project you are passionate about so your passion permeates every aspect of the campaign.
- Crowdfunding is a TON of work and is by no means an “easy route” to publishing. Another reason why having passion for your project is critical.
- WHY are you crowdfunding? Know the answer to that question, because you will be asked to answer it hundreds of times. (Alas, my five-part blog series)
- Give yourself way more time than you think you need to pull everything together. I am reasonably prepared for tomorrow, but everything took longer than I expected, and there is SO much more I wish I could have done to prepare for the launch.
- Build a team. Even if you are crowdfunding a self-publishing project (mine is hybrid), pull together a group of people who will give you timely feedback on your video, your rewards, and your project description/pitch. You’d never publish a book without critiques and edits, so don’t launch a crowdfunding project without them either.
I hope to see you back here tomorrow to celebrate launch day! 🙂Categories: Children's Books, Crowdfunding, Picture Books, Publishing, Self Publishing, Writing · Tags: Author, Crowdfunding, Julie Hedlund, Kickstarter, My Love for You is the Sun, Picture Books, Publishing, Writing