At last I am able to reveal the BIG NEWS I’ve been alluding to regarding the publication of my next picture book. I will be crowdfunding the illustration, production, design and first run printing through Kickstarter.
Furthermore, I am inviting my fellow writers to come along with me in this journey. I know many of you are interested in crowdfunding but aren’t sure where to start, what the benefits and risks are, or how to set up a campaign for success.
As part of my role as the “Field Guide to 21st Century Publishing” for Children’s Book Insider, I am putting my own rear on the line so you don’t have to. Follow along as I share successes, failures, decisions, and outcomes. And at the end of this journey, whether I succeed or fail, the entire experience, in collaboration with CBI, will be consolidated into some type of “How To” guide to crowdfunding for children’s authors.
Watch this short video for all the details (cliff notes version below), and be sure to come back every day this week as I continue the Why Crowdfund? series. Oh, and WISH ME LUCK!! 🙂
Cliff Notes version for folks who can’t/won’t watch the video
- I am crowdfunding the initial production and printing of my next picture book.
- This is NOT a self-publishing project, but rather a HYBRID publishing project. The video explains this in more detail, but essentially, although I put the team together, I had an agent help me with the contracts, and I have a publisher for the book.
- The personal reason I decided to experiment with crowdfunding for this particular book is because, although I believe it is a beautiful book and will resonate with many readers, it is probably a tough sell in NYC right now. The video explains in more detail.
- The professional reason I decided to run this crowdfunding experiment was to do something unique, exciting, and beneficial to other writers as part of my role as the “Field Guide to 21st Century Publishing” for CBI.
- Will I succeed? Will I fail? Come along for the journey and see for yourself!
Be sure to come back each day this week as I take on Why Crowdfunding Parts II – V. Here are the list of topics.
Have questions? Leave them in the comments and I’ll do my best to answer them. Hope you’ll join me for this crazy adventure!Categories: Agents, Children's Books, Creativity, Picture Books · Tags: 21st Century Publishing, Agents, Author, CBI, Children's Book Insider, Crowdfunding, Hybrid Publishing, Julie Hedlund, Kickstarter, Little Bahalia Publishing, Picture Books